Mold Clean-Up After a Flood
Mold growth is an unfortunate side effect of flooding due to stagnant water and mold’s affinity for it. Mold produces a compound called ‘mycotoxin’ that can lead to health related issues such as allergies, itching eyes and other respiratory issues. Regardless of how it got there, it is of the utmost importance to address a mold problem in your home as soon as possible.
Obviously, you will need to remove the water from the affected area, as mold needs moisture to thrive. Water should be sopped up or pumped out. If the water is in an area where electricity has to potential to conduct through it, turn off main power if you can safely got to your electrical box. When in doubt, call a professional to help with these steps to avoid risking personal injury.
When the area has been dried out, it should be sealed off and isolated to prevent mold spores from spreading and contaminating unaffected areas. If mold continues to grow, a professional will need to be consulted.
All waterlogged materials should be removed and placed in an area where they can be dried out. The area will need to be wet vacuumed. A regular vacuum cleaner should NOT be used. Baseboards and moldings should also be removed to allow the walls to dry.
Keep it dry
The area should have plenty of ventilation and air flow, using a combination of fans and dehumidifiers. Continue to monitor the area to insure that no further mold growth is occurring.
Depending on the scope of the problem, you are generally better off contacting a reputable mold remediation specialist.
SERVPRO of Lake Oswego/ West Linn is a mold remediation specialist. You can read more about our processes here. Mold is no joke and we are here to help when and if you need it. Call us today. 503-635-6233